Salary: Around £35,000
Employed By: Aberdeen Inspired (in partnership with Aberdeen City Council)
Responsible To: Chief Executive of Aberdeen Inspired
Hours: Working Hours will be 35 hours per week split 5 out of 7 days, generally 9am-5pm. (due to the nature of the post holder’s role and responsibilities some weekend, evening and early morning working will be expected. The role involves working in the office of Aberdeen Inspired and Aberdeen City Council but predominately out and about across all parts of the City Centre.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and self-motivated individual to join a successful BID and continue the development and improvement of the City Centre working in partnership with the Council and working alongside other partners.
You will be the ‘eyes and ears’ for the businesses in the City Centre, understanding their day to day needs as a city centre operator. You will monitor progress, as well as liaise with the retailers, landlords and landowners on improvements to their trading environment, properties and other joint/partnership working.
The post holder will have responsibility to maintain and improve the quality and vitality of Aberdeen City Centre for all users as well as helping to improve the competitiveness of the City and to develop its position as a leading commercial and cultural centre in Scotland.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a range of agreed projects and events within the City Centre including assisting with the implementation of Project Union Street on behalf of Aberdeen Inspired and Aberdeen City Council.
- Assisting in the co-ordination of service delivery in the City Centre on behalf of the 700+ businesses representing the BID as well as its partners and other stakeholders.
- Working with the Council to monitor and improve upon an agreed set of standards and performance measures linked to the delivery of Council services – ensuring baseline services are delivered uninterrupted. First point of contact/complaint for businesses to raise issues and provide regular feedback on action taken.
- Liaising with businesses and property owners in order to agree and drive forward an agenda of improvements that have a direct positive impact on environmental quality and appearance of the City Centre.
- Agreeing and managing City Centre commercial spaces to ensure promotions take place in a safe and controlled environment, whilst maximising revenue.
- Advise on promotional activities in order to raise the profile and awareness of Aberdeen’s uniqueness as a retail and leisure destination of choice to visitors and businesses.
- Working with the Council and other statutory public bodies, assist in recommending positive changes to improve the management and control of public spaces, how they are used and for what purpose.
- Assist in the distribution of key city trading statistics and other relevant business information that has a direct impact on the trading environment and business/ property owners.
- Representing Aberdeen Inspired and/or Council at all appropriate external meetings with stakeholders.
- Report and present as required to Aberdeen Inspired Board of Directors and relevant Committees of Aberdeen City Council.
- To manage and Coordinate a wide variety of ‘on street’ activities in the City Centre by co-ordinating the activities of regulated and unregulated uses and activities taking or likely to take place including street buskers, vendors, promoters, markets and charity workers.
- Supporting the market operators for the monthly farmers markets to support them to be a sustainable ventures for the future.
- Undertaking risk assessments and ensuring the health and safety of individuals and the general public in all matters relating to the broader public realm.
- To carry out any other duties required by the Chief Executive (AI) or Chief Officer City Growth (ACC) which are consistent with those listed above and are appropriate to the title and responsibilities of the post.
Skills & Experience
- Innovation and creative self-starter with the ability to manage a diverse workload and meet deadlines
- Knowledge and experience of the different sectors in the City Centre – Retail, Hospitality and Office.
- Experience of developing business networks and contacts.
- Evidence of working with, and achieving service change, in the business community and public agencies.
- Financial awareness, strong analytical and organisational skills.
- Previous experience in a town/city centre management role or equivalent.
- Awareness of activities of the Association of Town and City Centre Management (ATCM).
- Good communication skills at all levels, including networking, formal presentations and report writing.
- A basic knowledge of local Authority culture and responsibilities.
Requirements of the Job
- The post holder needs to hold as a minimum:
- HNC/HND or equivalent or relevant on the job experience
- Membership of a relevant institute.
Applications to Recruitment, Aberdeen Inspired, Suite 2, 32 Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen, AB10 1BA or please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be in by close of play on the 28 th September 2018.